Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thread family for editers

wiki edit new thread help wanted

6 replies to this topic

AQiccl135

AQiccl135

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:Pyrin
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

I have been editing the Special Pages in the wiki, but a few just leave me scratching my head. For now, I'll focus on a few that I'm working on right now, but it would be nice if there were a separate thread family for those who focus on editing/coding.

The biggest thing that I'm doing right now is adding categories to files. There are HUNDREDS of pictures floating around with no category. I was wondering if any of the higher-ups can force uploaded files to at least have the picture category - if not require that the person uploading the file add a category manually.

On that line of thought - a lot of the files are unused. Could someone with the power to delete stuff go through cleaning that list up?

Next thing is the templates. I've explored enough to see how to code them, but I don't know what is "wanted" since the section just includes the ones that don't exist.

Some of the other entries in the Special Pages are ones that I have Absolutely No Idea how to "fix". Namely: Oldest pages, Pages with the fewest revisions, Protected pages, and Protected titles. The first two, I'm assuming, are intended to weed out pages that need to be updated or deleted, but those last two...???

Case and point, I am willing to go through the site fixing the same problem for a hundred different pages, but I would like to know how to do it right.

Thanks in advance.

AQiccl135 (talk) - Please leave a message if you would like something fixed, cleaned up, or created.

Kahless61

Kahless61

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I'm not sure I see the point in categorizing images as "picture". What exactly does it achieve? I mean, if you just want to see all pictures, couldn't you just look at the list of uploaded files?

AQiccl135

AQiccl135

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • IGN:Pyrin

I didn't say it was a great idea, I just wanted the files to be categorized somehow.

AQiccl135 (talk) - Please leave a message if you would like something fixed, cleaned up, or created.

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I would assume protected pages are those that can only be edited by admins, not regular users or anonymous contributors.

Nothing to 'fix' there.

Oldest pages and 'fewest revisions' don't necessarily need to be deleted or even edited.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack

The real top priority pages are good old red links :)

I've added a page for Biomes O' Plenty 2 days ago, so if anyone of you got some spare time to do field researches - feel free to document some of the new biomes. A whole 86 links out of 87 are red.

http://ftbwiki.org/Biomes_O%27_Plenty

I suggest using the style of this page: http://ftbwiki.org/Autumn_Woods for newly created biome articles. Pictures and short descriptions can be grabbed from http://www.minecraft...057-sub-biomes/ - or you can just take screenshots.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper

To view the entirety of all red links wiki-wide, you can also visit Special:WantedPages. However, the "most wanted" pages here (pages that do not exist that are linked to the most) are often pages in nav templates and are sometimes not that crucial to the documentation of relevant things/high-traffic pages.

At a glance, there appear to be at least 1,000 unique red links across the wiki, which is the limit of the cache and the amount of wanted pages that are available for listing at any given time. Some of these (e.g. Twilight Forest stuffs that haven't yet been documented or Biomes O' Plenty stuffs) are only available in a beta pack or a third-party pack. Those denoted with the Template talk:, Talk:, Tutorial Talk: and similar talk prefixes don't need to be "fixed" and can just be left alone.

For pages with "Bee" in the name, you can grab the style from another bee page (I've gone through the trouble of filling out every Thaumic Bees page, so you could navigate to any old bee page from the Thaumic Bees nav) by clicking Edit, copying everything, pasting it into your new page, then changing anything that needs to be changed (e.g. genetic traits, mutations, the infobox, etc)

Then, currently sitting at the 57-links mark, is a massive block of stuff from the DivineRPG mod. These articles are probably paraphrasable largely or wholly from the DivineRPG wiki.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

JonathanHopeThisIsUnique

JonathanHopeThisIsUnique

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I edit quite a bit too! I actually did just what you said for many bee pages that didn't exist yet :) . Now I'm trying to work on sapling pages for forestry. Bees have the {{Bees/Genetics}} thing, and I tried to use it but change some words (like instead of pollination, girth) but it didn't work. I'm trying to make it look like the bee pages but with tree traits instead of bee traits. I made the Hill Cherry Sapling page (it's my first sapling page, and all of the other sapling pages aren't very good either so I had nothing to look up to). It would be really nice if you could tell me how to make that work, then I'll just do that for all the sapling pages. (Since almost all the sapling pages are red links.)

I get my infomration for trees from the treealyzer with purebred saplings, and with the Master Apiarist Database for the bees. Thanks in advance! (In case this thread is really old, don't know how to check when it started)

I just found the chromosone thing from the Tutorial:Tree Basics and it worked!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wiki, edit, new thread, help, wanted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users