Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hey I'm a new guy, did I do it right?

Biomes O Plenty Wiki Edit Noob Whatarethesetagsevenfor

22 replies to this topic

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • IGN:BlarghNRawr
  • Modpack:FTB Unleashed

Hey how are ya doin'.

A few things I need to ask here.

I am new to this whole wiki editing thing but I decided to make a big change to the Biomes O' Plenty page anyway because it was bugging me when I went to look up some information and it wasn't there. I added a bunch of info to the biomes section, added a few screenshots, and laid it out a little better. I'll probably keep working on that page some more for the next little while, too.

My questions are as follows:

1. Did I do something wrong or screw something up without realizing it?

2. Are the changes on that page actually good ones?

3. Is there any additional info you think would be prudent to include for each biome? I opened a creative world and found each and every one of those biomes individually and set teleports to all of them. It would be very easy for me to go back to them all for some more 'research'.

The only thing I touched was the 'Biomes' section so don't worry about everything after that point, though I do plan to mess with the rest of that page at a later date.

Thanks y'all.

• ViperSRT3g likes this

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Hi and welcome to the wiki and forums!

1. Yes, you did everything right. Looks like nothing is broken :)

2. You completed the biome list, what could be bad about that?

3. I don't really see anything missing. It might be useful to change the layout of the "Details" column a bit and make an actual column for each detail. That way you can sort the table by those fields. The table would also be shorter, as the details sub-tables take up a lot of vertical space. That would be quite a large and annoying change though, will have to see about that.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack
Hey. i've posted to you talk page about the changes, tl;dr here: that article is about the mod in general, adding detailed information about each biome is a little bit too much for that page, there's a separate article about each biome added by BOP and there's an article "Biome" which lists all biomes present in FTB, would be more reasonable to put biome-related information there.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

3. I don't really see anything missing. It might be useful to change the layout of the "Details" column a bit and make an actual column for each detail. That way you can sort the table by those fields. The table would also be shorter, as the details sub-tables take up a lot of vertical space. That would be quite a large and annoying change though, will have to see about that.

I did try organizing the table like that initially but I was having a lot of trouble with the formatting, getting weird sizes in the columns. I agree it would be a much better idea to have the details listed in their own columns for sorting purposes and so the rows aren't so wide, if I can figure out how to align everything better. I have no idea what I am doing with these tables though, it took me forever to figure out what is there right now. I would definitely take the time to fix it if I can figure it out though.

Hey. i've posted to you talk page about the changes, tl;dr here: that article is about the mod in general, adding detailed information about each biome is a little bit too much for that page, there's a separate article about each biome added by BOP and there's an article "Biome" which lists all biomes present in FTB, would be more reasonable to put biome-related information there.

Yeah, upon looking back it does seem a bit much for the mod page. I came to the wiki in the first place to find some information about each biome all in one place and, when I couldn't find that, I decided I may as well create it. If it was information I was looking for it was probably information other people were looking for too, right? At least that was my reasoning.

My intention was to add some basic information to the main page then more detailed information to each biome's page individually, like the ones for ExtraBiomesXL. Example. What information would you suggest I move to the Biome page? It doesn't seem fitting to put BoP specific info like the gem types on the Biomes page, but I could be wrong. The BoP page only had Biome-Description-Thumbnail before I messed with it, so I can revert it back if it is better that way.

And a question I forgot to ask in the OP:
What is the ruling on mod content that can be changed with a config file?

I was really not sure if I should be adding the ID column on the far left or the Village Gen info since both are entirely reliant on the settings in the config file. I put down all the default values from my own config but I am sure the concept of a 'default' config is fairly nebulous with all the different modpacks floating around.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

AFAIK village gen and biome IDs do not differ between packs, but I may be wrong. Biome IDs are much less used than block/item IDs, so they can usually be left on their defaults. It would be worth mentioning though that these can be changed in the config.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

To be honest my motto is and always has been that if you see something wrong or missing then fix it.

I like your changes even if they are a bit lengthy. =b
What we need is more people making changes like these.

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thanks guys.

I've reverted a lot of the changes on ostPavel's suggestion but have left the new organization, IDs and gems that I added, so it should be a little less lengthy and overwhelming now. The information I removed I will be adding to the Biome page and BoP's individual biome pages, since all of them are currently stubs. I'll spend some time fixing the rest of BoP's main page, too.

• ostPavel likes this

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I've actually been wondering, what does the "ideal" mod page look like? From what I've seen there is not a lot of consistency between the main mod articles and unlike for items the style guide really doesn't say much.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I updated the Biome page with more info. I don't have any information on the ExtrabiomesXL stuff right now though so it isn't the most organized thing in the world.

Something I noticed though is that the Twilight Forest has one page for all of its biomes and even the vanilla wiki does not have individual pages for each biome. Since there is really not a lot of information you can write about each biome, I think it might make more sense to create an ExtrabiomesXL_Biomes and a Biomes_O'_Plenty_Biomes page rather than individual pages for every single biome. They would have to be incredibly long pages but surely 1 long page is better than 80 tiny ones. It'd make navigation easier and still keep the main mod pages neat and tidy. It's also nice for consistency with the way Twilight Forest's biomes are written up. Thoughts?

I've actually been wondering, what does the "ideal" mod page look like? From what I've seen there is not a lot of consistency between the main mod articles and unlike for items the style guide really doesn't say much.

This is a good question that I would also like an answer to. I am not entirely sure what direction to take the BoP page anymore.

ostPavel

ostPavel

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1013 posts
  • IGN:ostPavel
  • Modpack:Private Pack
We should keep the individual biome pages for now, because people might discuss bee-related things on biomes' talk pages and other stuff, but the list of all biomes per mod sounds reasonable as well. Probably can keep biome images in separate articles to decrease the size of the page containing all biomes, but provide all other information there.

My contributions || Herp derp || Out of order

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Thanks guys.

I've reverted a lot of the changes on ostPavel's suggestion but have left the new organization, IDs and gems that I added, so it should be a little less lengthy and overwhelming now. The information I removed I will be adding to the Biome page and BoP's individual biome pages, since all of them are currently stubs. I'll spend some time fixing the rest of BoP's main page, too.

Yes those biome pages were lacking...

It is currently being discussed on our manual of style article's talk page to lengthen the style guide to include exact guides for each kind of article.

I updated the Biome page with more info. I don't have any information on the ExtrabiomesXL stuff right now though so it isn't the most organized thing in the world.

Something I noticed though is that the Twilight Forest has one page for all of its biomes and even the vanilla wiki does not have individual pages for each biome. Since there is really not a lot of information you can write about each biome, I think it might make more sense to create an ExtrabiomesXL_Biomes and a Biomes_O'_Plenty_Biomes page rather than individual pages for every single biome. They would have to be incredibly long pages but surely 1 long page is better than 80 tiny ones. It'd make navigation easier and still keep the main mod pages neat and tidy. It's also nice for consistency with the way Twilight Forest's biomes are written up. Thoughts?

This is a good question that I would also like an answer to. I am not entirely sure what direction to take the BoP page anymore.

Having just one article for all biomes of a specific mod? Hmmm... that might be the route to take, but some of those articles would then be rather lengthy and bothersome... would that be fine?
player.me/felinoel

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well that took forever but I redid the rest of the BoP page. It is still ridiculously long though so I'll look into cutting it down some more. If it gets decided that a page dedicated to BoP's biomes is a good idea then it would help to move a lot of the current information to the new page and keep the BoP page as a quick overview. Regardless, I think I'm going to leave the main page alone for a little while and instead spend some time fleshing out the red links and individual biome pages.

Having just one article for all biomes of a specific mod? Hmmm... that might be the route to take, but some of those articles would then be rather lengthy and bothersome... would that be fine?

If it's well organized and contained in a single page devoted to being a list, I don't think it would be so bad. At the very least, it would be better than having it covering the first three quarters of the main mod page.

On an unrelated note, is there somewhere I can find all the available style guides as well as formats for making crafting recipes and machine UIs?

I've been looking around and am having trouble finding them.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

For the crafting grid templates, just check the template page, they should all have documentation. They are all called "Template:Grid/something", so you'll for instance find the Squeezer under "Template:Grid/Squeezer". Note that most machines with a furnace-like layout (Macerator, Extractor, Compressor, etc.) have been bundled under "Template:Grid/Machine".

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

If it's well organized and contained in a single page devoted to being a list, I don't think it would be so bad. At the very least, it would be better than having it covering the first three quarters of the main mod page.

I still think it would be far too lengthy and confusing...

On an unrelated note, is there somewhere I can find all the available style guides as well as formats for making crafting recipes and machine UIs?
I've been looking around and am having trouble finding them.

We also need to incorporate that into here...
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

I still think it would be far too lengthy and confusing...

Actually I think it's okay - Wikipedia has similar things ("List of somethings"), so we could just make a "List of Biomes in Biomes o' Plenty" dedicated to that.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Actually I think it's okay - Wikipedia has similar things ("List of somethings"), so we could just make a "List of Biomes in Biomes o' Plenty" dedicated to that.

We aren't Wikipedia, people coming here don't want a novel for each article, the more we talk about this the more I feel it would be better if we separated each biome... maybe...
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

We aren't Wikipedia, people coming here don't want a novel for each article, the more we talk about this the more I feel it would be better if we separated each biome... maybe...

That's not what I'm trying to say - take a look at https://en.wikipedia...t_of_countries. It is mainly a table with basic information. That's what I'd do with the biomes. Basically like what we have on the BoP page right now, just separate from everything else.

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

For the crafting grid templates, just check the template page, they should all have documentation. They are all called "Template:Grid/something", so you'll for instance find the Squeezer under "Template:Grid/Squeezer". Note that most machines with a furnace-like layout (Macerator, Extractor, Compressor, etc.) have been bundled under "Template:Grid/Machine".

Hey, thanks a lot.

That's not what I'm trying to say - take a look at https://en.wikipedia...t_of_countries. It is mainly a table with basic information. That's what I'd do with the biomes. Basically like what we have on the BoP page right now, just separate from everything else.

Yes, that was my plan. Essentially take what is on the BoP page now and move it to its own page so the main page can have something less intrusive. I don't know about the thumbnails though. Maybe move them to a gallery instead. Although that could work for the main BoP page as well.

Fair enough. I'll be working on the individual biome pages for now. Maybe we can get the best of both worlds.

captionUnderstanding

captionUnderstanding

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Aaand a question about 2 items that share a name in different mods.

For example Quicksand.

Does one get to claim the Quicksand page while the other gets Quicksand (modname) or do both get Quicksand (modname) and Quicksand itself gets a redirect?

I know both pages get a {{Youmay}} but I don't know the convention for the page naming.

This is only talking in terms of 2 conflicting items, not 3 or more that would require a disambiguation page.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Aaand a question about 2 items that share a name in different mods.

For example Quicksand.

Does one get to claim the Quicksand page while the other gets Quicksand (modname) or do both get Quicksand (modname) and Quicksand itself gets a redirect?

I know both pages get a {{Youmay}} but I don't know the convention for the page naming.

This is only talking in terms of 2 conflicting items, not 3 or more that would require a disambiguation page.

I believe that we always make a disambig, even with only two. There's no reason why one item should have the right to claim the general name. The youmays should then point to the other page though, not the disambig. http://ftbwiki.org/Sawdust is a good example.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Biomes O Plenty, Wiki, Edit, Noob, Whatarethesetagsevenfor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users