Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wiki Style Guide Article Type Examples

148 replies to this topic

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

lot of people just don't care about guidelines

Hence my earlier confusion.

And if nobody notices that there are more than two videos it will just remain that way. It's not supposed to be that way though. So I don't see why we should adapt our guidelines to people who don't bother reading them.

It was more because no one minded and that it was handy to have more info and less because people were already doing it.
On this subject matter I find the 1x1 current method of displaying videos to be very... disorganized... or rather... cluttered... of sorts. It centers two videos downwards leaving massive amounts of unappealing empty space that is VERY hard on the eyes. The least we could do is arrange the videos horizontally.

I am stressing these default articles because of the incoming expansion, we want to have default article pages for people to copy paste then fill the info in, that way things will be cleaner, smoother, and added faster.
If we efficiently add the new info then it does not need to take years for it to properly be adjusted and filled out since it already was that from the start.

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts
  • IGN:RZR0
  • Modpack:Private Pack

On this subject matter I find the 1x1 current method of displaying videos to be very... disorganized... or rather... cluttered... of sorts. It centers two videos downwards leaving massive amounts of unappealing empty space that is VERY hard on the eyes. The least we could do is arrange the videos horizontally.

I don't quite understand what you're referring to... 2 videos are supposed to be aligned horizontally, as was originally described in the style guide. was that removed as well?

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

I don't quite understand what you're referring to... 2 videos are supposed to be aligned horizontally, as was originally described in the style guide. was that removed as well?

That is because of the {{youtube}} template, which creates separate center tags for each video. There's no good way to automatically put two consecutive templates into a single tag. But you also implemented a second parameter for that template, which formats everything properly, so that's solved.

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

That is because of the {{youtube}} template, which creates separate center tags for each video. There's no good way to automatically put two consecutive templates into a single tag. But you also implemented a second parameter for that template, which formats everything properly, so that's solved.

Well, when the template was implemented, it would have had to conform with the style guide. Replacing the style guide entries for videos with the template before it did should never have happened.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

If that is the case then fixing that template will fix all of those ugly-looking articles, right?

EDIT:
http://ftbwiki.org/i...f=0&oldid=95459
Ohhh, so it isn't an issue with the template, it is an issue with how people use it... nevermind... /:

EDIT:
delete_zps624c52cb.png
So I edited something to use the template right, and it still looks terrible?
Is there something wrong with the template after all?
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

It appears as though your window is too narrow to display videos side-by-side ( that, or you're seeing a cached version since you're not using http://nocache.ftbwiki.org/Tesseract ). The Tesseract page shows the videos displayed horizontally for me. (In my opinion they look better stacked vertically, but that could just be because I'm used to it.)

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

This, your screen is probably not large enough. Try unmaximizing your browser, moving it off your screen and then making it wider.

PS:

Yep, did the math, your screen is just a little bit too narrow ;)

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
but... my screen is 1360x768?
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts

Taking away from that 1360 the narrow column on the left, and the wide column on the right, leaves about 875 pixels for the width of the article itself. With each video being 450 pixels wide, you need at least 900 pixels of article width (plus more for the nbsp between them) to see the videos side-by-side.

• ostPavel likes this

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Taking away from that 1360 the narrow column on the left, and the wide column on the right, leaves about 875 pixels for the width of the article itself. With each video being 450 pixels wide, you need at least 900 pixels of article width (plus more for the nbsp between them) to see the videos side-by-side.

Unusual... I've never had this issue before?
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Unusual... I've never had this issue before?

There are some pages with strange custom video layouts that don't follow the style guide entirely. Some have smaller videos, others have one big one and two small ones below... point is that you may have seen one where the videos were 50 or 100 pixels less wide, so they happened to fit on your screen.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

There are some pages with strange custom video layouts that don't follow the style guide entirely. Some have smaller videos, others have one big one and two small ones below... point is that you may have seen one where the videos were 50 or 100 pixels less wide, so they happened to fit on your screen.

No I mean in other websites I've never had this issue before where my resolution caused such an issue.
What is the standard resolution this wiki uses?
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

No I mean in other websites I've never had this issue before where my resolution caused such an issue.
What is the standard resolution this wiki uses?

What do you mean? AFAIK videos are 450px wide. The site's width is dynamic in some way.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

What do you mean?

http://www.hobo-web....st-screen-size/
player.me/felinoel

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

What do you mean? AFAIK videos are 450px wide. The site's width is dynamic in some way.

The template with at max size allows for 2 videos to be places next to each other, but for smaller monitors it will shrink to match the screen size down to a minimum width.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

The template with at max size allows for 2 videos to be places next to each other, but for smaller monitors it will shrink to match the screen size down to a minimum width.

If the website shrinks... can we make the template shrink too?
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts

That would probably involve... some very fancy coding, if it's even possible. Instead, you may want to copy the code from here to your User CSS page. I only tested this very briefly, but it did shrink all youtube videos on the site to be 400 pixels wide. You may encounter other problems if you do use this, including but not limited to:

1. Other elements being forced to render as 400x300 (anything in an iframe will be 400x300, but not much should be in iframes anyway besides videos)
  2. Seeing page layouts differently from every other user (the custom CSS does not appear to work with the nocache version, so this could be used to verify default layouts)
  3. Not being able to quickly see that a video has been added at an incorrect size
  4. Itching or rash at the injection site

If symptoms persist, be sure to talk to your browser about a hard refresh to bypass your cached css.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123

but... my screen is 1360x768?

1. I think you mean 1366x768.
  2. Mine's 1366x768 too, and for me they're not showing side by side either.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

RZR0

RZR0

Administrator

• Operator
  • 1980 posts

I assume you mean shrink the videos? Probably, but I'm only a novice when it comes to css and javascript. I will certainly look into it when my finals are over, some ideas do come to mind.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

I assume you mean shrink the videos? Probably, but I'm only a novice when it comes to css and javascript. I will certainly look into it when my finals are over, some ideas do come to mind.

http://ftbwiki.org/U...ssus/common.css

It does only the width though. The height still remains the same. And you have to enclose it in a classed div, but we could integrate that into the youtube template.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users